11 March 2010

how fitting, my departure

Okay, just to clear things up.
1. Tori left in December. She is still gone. Tierra Santa is a distant memory that I wanted to re-live, with you.
2. Victoria is the girlfriend of my friend Shaun. They are from Philly but live in Buenos Aires. She is an amazing cook and the most grateful host and I think I like her better than Shaun.
3. My parents are here. More on this when I get some perspective.

And now, the actual post..
Two weeks before leaving, I started pumping my boss for my paycheck. "You know, Tincho, I still don't have access to my money. I really need this cash to get to BA to meet my parents. Can you please pay me or at least give me a generous advance so that I can, you know, eat?"

"Oh yes, of course, Francesca. If your last day is on Saturday the 27th, then for sure we can pay you on the 26th."

Still, my Spanish is not perfect but I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand. Mainly because he said it in English.

I showed up on the 26th, early, to meet Cristina. (We have since ceased Spanish/English lessons because we became friends and now we just gossip rapidly in a messed-up mix. Honestly, it's like therapy.) Having showed up 2 hours ahead of time, I figure I can get my check just to be sure and cash it on Monday before I leave. What, Monday is a holiday? Banks aren't open. Okay, good thing I came early, I guess I should cash it now since the banks close at 6pm and are closed all weekend. Where's Tincho? Buenos Aires? What the fuck? Did he leave me check? No? Where. is. it?

Fede, the boss is there and tells me that Silvina has it. Where's Silvina? At the other hostel. Should I go? I can drive you. I'd rather walk, I need control. At this point I am pretty salty, stomping all over the hostel and have serious "cara de culo." Literally translated, this means "ass face," which I think is pretty hilarious because we never say that in English and here, it's so common too call someone a sourpuss. Not to get to graphic, but I think the pursed lips are supposed to be the asshole.

Anyway, Cristina being the wonderful, supportive friend that she is, accompanies me to the office where of course, no one is. I'm pacing back and forth, wondering whether I should go to the other hostel to track down Silvina, keeper of all the money. Then I realize that I don't have my passport so how am I going to cash this check anyway. Shit, shit, shit. Cristina tells me to calm down, relax, sit and wait. By this time, it's 5pm. My time and options are quickly slipping away. Relax? Are you fucking kidding me?! Then Carlos, a director, happens to walk by. Cristina chases after him down the street. Oh yeah, you're paycheck's right upstairs and there's no name on it, so you won't have any trouble cashing it. It's that simple, why are you so worked up about it?

Oh I don't know, let me count the reasons. Most importantly, this all happened totally by chance. What if I didn't show up 2 hours early? What if Fede wasn't there? What if Carlos hadn't happened to be walking the by a hour before the banks closed?

I finally did get it cashed, without any further incident, but no one could understand my cara de culo. To them nothing was wrong, it was solved. This whole experience was very Uruguayan and made me ache for the prompt paychecks of the states, effectively making my departure the slightest bit easier. Also the fact that I knew I was returning in a week with my parents for the real goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment