14 March 2011

ny restaurant world

There are two things that I've noticed so far about the NY restaurant world that are massively different than the way things are done in Philly.

THE MAITRE'D
Here, maitre'ds rule. These people may look, smell and taste exactly like hosts, but don't get it confused. They are paid more, as I found out when a girl at work asked me how much I made. I lied of course. I think she told me the truth. Often, the job is a managerial position in some capacity. They are in charge of all the hosts and every person that comes in the door. And especially at Beauty & Essex, everyone is OBSESSED with the door. There, it's a parade of who's who and where they're seated is the highest level of concern for everyone involved and not involved. I mean, really thousands of people just died in Japan and you're screaming about Lady Gaga's boyfriend being seated at table 60 instead of 40?! Honestly, who gives a fuck? Maitre'ds, that's who.

Staff meal
I didn't have it at Continental, but every other restaurant I've ever worked for in Philadelphia has given us family meal at least once per shift. Here in New York, it's not different. Except for the fact that you are charged for it. No matter if you eat it or not. It's usually only a buck or two per shift, but it is taken out of your paycheck against your will and without warning. Now I take care to eat it, everyday, even if I'm not hungry... just on principle.

No comments:

Post a Comment