18 January 2010

fool me once, shame on you

Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, maybe it’s time I go home.

Since I last wrote I’ve had a series of highs and lows. First the good news – the job is going really well. I’m still poor as dirt, but I’m already comfortable and I’ve made some new friends. Every weekend, we have a little fiesta at the hostal, grab some tourists and take them out with us. From what I’ve seen so far, Martin makes a little game by picking a different one each week to make out with. (Job perks?) Anyway, we went out this past Friday and guess what? I got robbed… again. After one blissful week of unlimited cell phone use, I have now been hurtled back to an almost non-existent social life. And they took my money, but good thing I had already paid my rent, went grocery shopping and bought a beer leaving the ladron with about $4, which was all of my money for the rest of the month. I hope (s)he was pissed. Emily, my roommate won’t admit that this is the 3rd time I’ve gotten robbed so I guess it’s up for debate. Let me give you a rundown.

1. First time, pick-pocketed on the subway in Buenos Aires. Tori was technically holding the bag, but my stuff was in it as well. Neither of realized until we got off at the next stop.

2. I put my camera on a table at the New Year’s party we crashed and when I went back up to get it, it was gone. Stupidity, yes. But if it wasn’t taken (robbed), it would have still been there, right?

3. Dancing at a disco, I realized my $4 and crappy cell phone were gone when I went outside to get some air and the trusty Budweiser fanny pack was gaping open. Oddly enough, my ipod was still inside. This resulted in me sitting on the sidewalk in tears and ranting about how I was getting on the next plane back to Philadelphia.

I just felt so stupid for having been taken for a fool, three times in South America in the time span of one month. But, as a friend who lived in Peru for three years said to me before I left, “Yeah, you’ll definitely want to bring your computer, because you’re going to miss all your music when your ipod gets stolen.” So I guess it’s just part of the adventure. I haven’t been hurt (physically) and I still have my passport. And ipod, but that will probably get taken in Bolivia.

1 comment:

  1. Should I carry all our valuables in my underwear when we get to Bolivia, just to be safe?

    I wouldn't worry too much about it. You've spent most of your life in places where pickpockets are rare and so its not second nature for you to carry your stuff where they can't get it. Its kind of like crossing the street. You always look left first, but go to London and you'll probably be hit by a bus on your first day.

    ReplyDelete