01 January 2010

a person i barely knew became my saving grace in a strange city

A while ago, before I left to meet Tori in Brazil, I wrote about going out alone and meeting some couch-surfers and having a blast. One has since found a girlfriend which I guess means we can't be friends anymore, but the other, Santiago, has become my best friend in Montevideo. Throughout my trip, we kept in touch through the channel best used for keeping in touch, facebook. When I got back last week, he asked me to go to a meeting, which is basically just everyone involved getting together for a couple of beers and maybe some faina, this chickpea bready thing that's toasted, my new love in life.

Since I'm on a very strict budget until stupid TD gets me my atm card, I regretfully had to decline. I explained how I got robbed and told Santi we'd have to do it another time. This was his response...

"Sorry to hear that but I didn't ask if you have money. You know here we don't care about that, one beer is paid with another beer 'cause its just the excuse to get people togheter! :)
So I insist (more now knowing that u'd love to come out tonight!) I am working right now but at 8pm I'm out of here. from where do I've to pick u up?
:)"

I melted. And went out. And met more people - a girl from the states who's basically doing what I'm doing in Buenos Aires, a big Indian guy learning his 9th language and applying to MBA programs all over the world, a red-headed girl who lives in Montevideo and is politely patient with my demented 6-year-old Spanish. It was more than fantastic.

Two nights later, we went out again. In an effort to help with my language, Santi plopped me down in the middle of a conversation between 5 native Spanish speakers. My head was spinning. When I got lost, which was often, he'd translate.

So far, Santi is my only friend on couchsurfing.org and when he accepted my friendship, he had this to say.

"I met Francesca in a concert, she is friendly, athletic, funny and very nice person to have around. She have a big beautiful smile than make you trust in her from the very begining."

It's just so incredible to have living proof that there are still great people in this world. Santi has the biggest heart, this huge capacity to care for people and I am still in disbelief how he has opened his life to me like it's nothing. I don't even know how I can repay him for the beers, the friendship, the car rides, the conversation, etc. etc. etc. I just hope I can eventually bring something to this relationship.

At first I was hesitant of the couch-surfing project, but after these experiences it's impossible not to love. After only a week back here, I have a social life, friends, roots. I can't wait to have my own place again so I can host in Philadelphia. And, before that - Josh I hope you are ready to couch-surf through Bolivia!

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm blog stalkering you, but not really 'cause they're meant to be read! Anyway, I met Santiago this last Thursday at the CS meetup, but I don't think I met you there. He was really nice.

    ReplyDelete