25 January 2010

the right place

Tengo ganas to blog today, but I have no idea what to write about so I am just going to do some freestyle here and hope something worthwhile comes out...

Funny thing I learned the other day - While I was counting my measly pesos and trying to think of quick scheme to, I don't know, make about $7 so I could go out and still afford to take the bus home, talk was quickly turned to the oldest profession in the world. This prompted me to do a little research and by research I mean I asked a few of the Uruguayans around my hostel for the going rate on a first-class hooker. Turns out, a good BJ only goes for $100 pesos ($5). Cheap labor is an understatement.

I guess you can tell by the fact that I walk around work asking people how much happy endings costs, that I am pretty comfortable with my job. It's true. I love it. The people I work with are great. The people that stay in the hostel are great, for the most part. And even if they're not so great, they are out my life in 1-3 days on average. Almost everyone speaks to me in English there, except for the crazy Brazilians guys who are staying for the whole month of January who jabber at me in Portuguese and Fati, the maintenance guy who doesn't speak a lick of English, except for the handy phrase I taught him the other day "you are the girl of my dreams." He's my favorite to talk to because he's really patient with me, only makes a few corrections and I never feel embarrassed.

I talked to one of my best friends yesterday and it was so good to hear his voice. I know I'm definitely not ready to give up my breezy days of sleeping 'til noon, heading to the beach, then bartending in a open court yard and getting paid to talk to people just yet. But it did bring out the slightest bit of homesickness and made me really excited for my return in April. I know by then I'll be ready, at least for long enough to save up for the next adventure. Rendezvous in Spain, right Matty?

I also talked to Tori yesterday. I can't freaking believe it's been a month since we cried over our last meal together. Not having her here is bizarre. Sometimes I look at our photos and am still unable to believe where we were and what we were doing only a few months ago.

In contrast to the running around, right now I am calm and slow. It's a nice pace, but I don't think I could do it forever. I'm still frustrated with my language, but I got some pretty good advice from a Canadian, believe it or not, to just relax and do what I can. I know it sounds pretty simple, but it was nice to be reminded that I am doing this for the process, the experience, and it feels so much better to take the pressure off of myself. In the beginning I thought that I would for sure come back at least on the track to fluency, but that's not going to be the case. This is something that may take my whole life to get where I want to be and I will keep at it because it's something that I want and something that I enjoy. My living and working situations right now just aren't conducive to my progress the way conditions were in October. I'm not having crazy dreams, I am not sleeping 12 hours a night cause my brain is on overdrive.

For now though, I'm happy and relaxed. Even working 48 hours a week. Carnival is coming up soon, which is crazy because I never used to picture myself still here for it. And... you know what else is rising? PAY DAY! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment