07 October 2009

accent, slang, etc.

It makes sense that a language spoken in as many countries as Spanish is has some colloquial differences. For example – the other day, I learned the word pinchar, which is kind of like to stab or poke, as with a fork. Well, I’m used to working with los mexicanos who will happily tell you that pinchar is a very dirty word.

Another – Spanish people (the ones from Spain, that is) have a lisp. They call it castillano. It sounds like “Bar-the-lona” instead of “Barcelona.” Where I live and I’ve heard in Argentina as well, they have their own special accent in which y’s and ll’s are prounced “sh.” Calle, in my previous experience pronounced “ca yay” here is said “ca shay.” Uruguayan people are called “Uruguay-shos.” It’s a bit difficult to get used to and much harder to understand, but you know…when in Rome.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I must say - I absolutely LOVE reading your blogs. You have a way with words, my friend, and your experience so far sounds amazing. Continue to enjoy every minute and drop us a line when you can...until then, I will follow you here...much love...

    Christine (Tassoni)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically enough, Hondurans pronounce "ll" as the letter "j". Bello is pronounced "Bay-jo".

    Francesca! I always wondered what happened to you! I saw something on Facebook about your blog, went to your page and it directed me here. This is some great reading.

    This sounds like an incredible opportunity for you, and I definitely envy you! As you can imagine, I especially enjoy your blogs where you mention the food and drinks. I'll be sure to check back in regularly.

    Best of luck and enjoy!

    Chef Tim--

    ReplyDelete