16 October 2009

two weeks

Today marks two weeks that I’ve been here, the halfway point of my time in Montevideo. They say it takes someone roughly 28 days to form habits and adjust to major lifestyle changes, but I already feel settled in my Montevideoan routine. So much so that I was thinking that I’d really like to stay here a bit longer to continue studying and uncovering more of what this city has to offer, mainly the food and music scenes.

But alas, I have an entire continent to discover and the next part of my vacation only just recently started to become real in my mind. Yesterday, I cracked open one of my thick travel guides and actually read, took notes and made cerebral plans about the extraordinary places Tori and I are going to be so soon.

Our meeting place is Sao Paulo, the capital of Brazil and the biggest city in South America. A population of 17 million also puts it at the third largest city in the world. Also on the list is surfing in Rio de Janeiro, a 40-mile bike trip down a mountain from La Paz (a city more than 12,00 ft above sea level), eating ceviche (with popcorn!) on the beaches of Ecuador, touring the vineyards of Mendoza and exploring the sure-to-be-indescribable wonder that is Machu Picchu.

It’s nearly impossible for me to wrap my head around these plans, as the closer the time comes, the more unbelievable it seems to me. Two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment