07 October 2009

language

This following statement may seem trite, but - Language is everything. It’s fascinating to me how many emotions it conjures up. There’s the obvious – omnipresent frustration, confusion and exclusion. However, I also daily experience extreme pride in small victories – seeing a number and thinking it in Spanish, asking a question and understanding the answer, and when a phrase just rolls off my tongue seemingly without thought. These sentiments, although far less occurring, make suffering through the negative ones worthwhile.

In my short time here, I have met people who speak 3, 4, 5 and 6 different languages and am constantly affirmed in my belief that multilingualism is the number one most impressive and admirable trait a human being can have. This experience so far has only strengthened my desire to travel all over the world to soak up as much language and culture as humanly possible. First, I should probably learn how to tell Amparo that I don’t really like instant coffee…Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment