02 October 2009

the cougar

This morning, the day I leave for Uruguay, I received an e-mail from a girl who found my wallet and told me I could pick it up whenever. Obviously, I won’t be able to get it and at this point, I don’t really need it, but it was a nice thing to wake up to.

In keeping with my ups-and-downs, however, my mom’s car broke down on the way to the airport this morning and it wasn’t just your standard flat - there was fumes coming through the vents and some very loud, undistinguishable noises. We pulled over on 95 and our little civic shook as trucks drove by at frightening speeds. My mom being the responsible, problem-solver she is, paged through her blackberry of contacts and found a friend to meet us on the shoulder by exit 13. (By the way, do you know it’s illegal for cabs to pick up people on the side of the highway?) So, 10 mins later we were throwing my luggage into a prius parked in front of us and I was back on my way.

On the first leg of this impossibly long trip (23 hours!), I was forced into the middle seat. On my right – an nondescript older woman that looked pretty much like any other women in her 60ish age group. On my right - the quintessential cougar. She was wearing an anklet, toe-rings and had flowers painted on her toenails. She carried a logo Louie Vuitton baby backpack and when she opened up her shiny purse, you could see her pack of Malboro lights. The best part was that these two women despised each other and I somehow, ended up as middle-man for multiple pee breaks and various other forced interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment