26 October 2009

plaza independencia


This is one of, if not, the main plaza in Montevideo. It’s very beautiful and has all the makings of a great city square – lots of trees, well-kept grass and fountains. It’s about four blocks from my house and I get to walk through it every day on my way to school.


In the center of Plaza Indenpendencia is a ginormous monument to Artigas, Uruguay's liberator.


Underneath this monument, two honor guards keep watch over his remains in a huge, elaborate tomb.


Palacio Salvo, a striking building that was once South America’s tallest, is often considered the symbol of Montevideo. Don’t quote me on this, but it looks now as if some people are lucky (rich) enough to live there.

In addition, the city’s only 4-star hotel is located here so I have a place to take a bathroom break when I am reading/sleeping in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment