31 October 2009

couch surfers

During my last week of school, two new students were added to our class, much to The German’s and my dismay. They were more or less on the same level, but the whole dynamic of the class totally changed (for the worse). They’re from New Zealand and not terribly interesting. They only tidbit worth mentioning to further the story is that they are couch-surfing their way across South America.

The person that they are currently staying with is in a band and he played a show last night that they invited me to. Not having anything better to do and unable to turn down the offer of live music, I obliged. I got there at about 12:30am and the bar barely looked open, so I waited for while on a stoop like the Montevideoans. Eventually I asked the bouncer what time the music would start and he told me it would still be another hour so I grabbed a beer to go to kill some time and returned. Not surprisingly, the bore of a couple never showed, which ended up being for the better.

Without even realizing it, I had tapped into the couch-surfer scene and I met people from everywhere who host and/or travel all over the world relying on the kindness of strangers and their more-or-less comfy couches. Continuing with my luck of great music this week, there were three live acts and then a DJ spun fun dance-y music like Depeche Mode and Madonna. I had such a blast and wish I hadn’t waited until my last weekend to go out alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment