16 October 2009

my dictionary

Admittedly, I expected the process of learning Spanish to be a little bit more organic. The word “immersion” conjured up images of some sort of social osmosis, adeptly picking up the language through street-side conversations, watching art-house films and listening to underground music. However, since I’ve been here I had to get a little more realistic and understand that I first need to have a solid grasp on grammatical basics and have a substantial vocabulary before I can “pick up” on the subtleties.

So, I finally broke down and bought a Spanish/English dictionary, which is a bit cumbersome and was fairly expensive. But it’s already more than made up for it’s weight and cost. I carry it with me almost everywhere. I was definitely more than a little idealistic to think that I could do this without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment